Thursday, July 31, 2008

what is wrong with the human race....

I don't usually post things like this, especially since I don't have first-hand knowledge, but it is so horrifying that I want to pass it on. It's from a man who works at Petco in California....

I wanted to tell you about something extremely disturbing a customer told me today. She felt it was her duty to tell me about this, and I feel like it's my duty to tell you (I'm notifying my four other Boston Terrier-owner friends of this as well). The customer noticed my Boston's picture on my name tag and said that she had her Boston stolen from her front yard recently. She let her dogs (2 Bostons & 2 Pugs) out to potty, and they were very well-trained & would never consider leaving their yard. One of her Bostons was taking a long time to pick a spot, and she had a phone call and let the other dogs back in and left the remaining Boston outside for a second to finish his business. She came right back outside, and he had vanished. She knew he was probably stolen, but she put up signs all over her neighborhood, and was shocked by the response she got.

Many people called her (several who lived on her block) that said their Bostons had been stolen as well and told her to report it to the police. The police had a horrible conclusion. First of all, it wasn't a random thing since nearly all the dogs recently stolen in the area were Bostons and not just any "purebred-looking" dog; this breed itself was being targeted. Second, since most, if not all, these dogs were simply pets and were spayed or neutered, it was not likely they were taken by a puppy mill for breeding purposes. Their fate was most likely far more horrible.
It turns out that in illegal dog-fighting rings (which are very prevalent this area of the country), Boston Terriers are now considered the perfect "bait" for training Pit Bulls to fight, for three reasons:

1) They look like small Pit Bulls, so young Pits in training will learn to go after dogs that have that similar shape and build while not getting harmed in the training process since the Boston is much smaller.

2) Bostons, unlike many other small breeds, have a lot of Bulldog characteristics and are thus willing fight back until death. Therefore, unlike other "bait" dogs, they do more than simply stand there and let themselves get torn up and will better prepare the Pits for fighting--again, without posing too much danger of the "trainee" getting hurt since the much-smaller Boston doesn't stand a chance.

3) This is the perhaps the most stomach-churning. Fighting dogs are trained to go for the neck and throat of the opponent, and the white collar of the Boston allows a training dog's owner to more easily tell how much damage his charge is able to inflict.

I thought you should be aware of this trend since Bostons are apparently being sought-after as bait dogs. Maybe you should also let other Boston owners and your puppies' buyers be aware of this--not to scare them, but because it's much better to be safe than sorry.


Stay close to your family and don't take bones from stranges - especially you Cali pups!

12 comments:

Peanut said...

People are stupid. that is all I have to say

Joe Stains said...

omdog this is the worst thing EVER :( :( :(

MJ's doghouse said...

oh my god Fig...that just breaks my heart. Stay close to your mommy and tadpole. They will protect you. Some people are so freaking stupid...i just cant stand it...

Mack said...

Figgy,
They better not DARE try and dognap you cause my brother would tear them to SHREDS!

Petra said...

This just makes me sick.

Moco said...

We have heard of this also. Keep close to home Figger and watch Petra also. Compassion and caring has just gone down the crapper.

Ruby Bleu said...

Thanks Figgy and Hannah...
I'll make sure to stay in my yard. In fact...I think I'm going to have Mom go get a lock for my yard too!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Nevis said...

People...can be so cruel.

Jen and Suki said...

That is a terrible, terrible, terrible thing to do. I just don't know what else to say about that. How could anybody be so cruel!?

Bobo the Boston Terrier said...

My mom says "We should put these dumb people in the dog fighting rings!" She's kind of mad after reading this.

Mom's very protective over me and would freak out if something happened to me.

We live across the street from two mean pit bulls. :(

Stay safe and I will try to do the same!

-Bobo

Aggie said...

FIG,

I happen to come across you page from BOBO my newest BT friend. I am always looking to meet other BT friends, but when I read your story it broke my heart.

Thanks for informaiton, I will be sure not to take candy from a stranger. Kidding aside, you are right, it's crazy what people will do.

I am off to give my mommy a sloppy kiss and I promise to stay by her side.

Aggie

Chris and Mackenzie said...

I've also heard that folks are looking for purebred puppies for sale then breaking into those homes and stealing the pups! Unreal...

Chris